As Outside continues to grow, we want to preserve our people-centric, high-performance culture. As a result, we are looking for an enthusiastic Head of Culture, Diversity & Inclusion - a newly created position - to join our team.
As Outside’s Head of Culture, Diversity & Inclusion, you will work closely with the Executive Leadership Team to build and execute a comprehensive roadmap, and will continuously drive Outside’s dedication to culture, diversity, inclusion and belonging. Understanding the changing landscape and working closely with internal teams, you will build an agile approach that can adjust and adapt to our growing needs of the organization. Success in year one will include building structures, practices and behaviors that drive accountability at both the leadership level and throughout the organization. This role will build cross-functional relationships and drive internal communications across the organization to ensure employees understand the What, When, Where, Why and How of our key people, culture, and diversity initiatives.
This role encompasses a strategic vision for continuing to elevate DEI throughout the organization as well as tactical and programmatic work to ensure there is daily impact, which includes partnering with the Talent Acquisition team, delivering content and education, playing a lead role with our DEI Committee and Employee Resource Groups and helping to ensure that diversity, inclusion and belonging is a priority throughout the organization as one of our core values. This role will be successful if it creates an environment where DEI is not just understood but celebrated and required as a criteria for business success.
The Head of Culture, Diversity & Inclusion will have experience building community and driving successful diversity programs. You will be a highly strategic operator, and have a successful and progressively responsible leadership track record in high growth companies. You will have a blend of significant HR experience combined with rolling out D&I initiatives across a distributed organization. This role will be a key part of the People Operations Leadership Team and report directly to the Chief People Officer.
- Set a bold cultural aspiration and strategy: Working with the Executive Leadership Team (ELT), determine the ideal cultural north star that boosts engagement and significantly advances diversity, inclusion and belonging outcomes; translate vision into a tactical, year-long roadmap
- Execute on culture strategy with 12-24 month horizon: Drive progress across the culture execution roadmap, with key beats that map to Outside’s business cycle and priorities
- Partner with the People Operations and Executive Leadership Team (ELT) to build structures and practices that create accountability for DEI into our key people-related processes including: workforce planning, talent acquisition, onboarding, learning and development, selection, promotion, succession planning and performance management processes.
- Lead the DEI Committee and Employee Resource Groups (ERG) to ensure cadence of interactions with senior leadership and overall guidance towards goal achievement for each ERG. Develop, recommend and implement proactive plans, including an annual strategic DEI plan and quarterly updates. Assess and report on achievement against plans on a regular basis.
- Collaborate with relevant COEs, committees, and business leaders to achieve real behavior change, pulling on levers which include communications, process changes, and capability building
- Work closely with the Talent Acquisition team on setting and achieving hiring goals. Recommend strategies and partnerships that stand out as creative hiring practices. Act as a resource for hiring strategies for underrepresented communities.
- Lead efforts around DEI awareness training. Recommend resources and creative approaches.
- Work closely with the People Operations team to recommend and implement ongoing and meaningful learning and development content and programming and content that are in support of the DEI plans. Ensure accessibility to content from a global perspective.
- Build out the DEI calendar of events and communications, in partnership with the DEI Committee and ERG’s, to ensure engagement and participation.
- Review DEI data such as hiring and our publications’ content, and assess against goals. Communicate and report on goal achievement.
- Manage day-to-day project execution for culture-related special projects
- Create work plans, establish and manage against key milestones and deliverables
- Design and implement a comprehensive global strategy for company-wide communications around our People strategy, core programs, and commitment to diversity, inclusion, and belonging
- Partner with the People Ops Team and Corporate Communications to continually evolve our narrative as an employer of choice, using storytelling to bring the employee experience to life
- Manage monthly People Team newsletter and other communications that keep employees up-to-date on the People programs, cultural events, and employee engagement initiatives happening across our company
- Engage with the global and local DEI communities and proactively network.
- Recommend outreach, speakers and events that would be engaging and meaningful to the company’s DEI initiatives and interests.
What is needed:
- A minimum of 12+ years of experience leading, developing and monitoring initiatives around culture, diversity, equality, inclusion, ideally in a fast-growth company environment. Significant HR or relevant experience with an emphasis on employee engagement/employee experience or organizational development.
- Proven track record of building out and implementing dynamic DEI plans for scaling organizations
- Experience and track record of strategic planning, creating and implementing communications plans
- Are a self-motivated and creative communicator who believes strategic internal communication is the foundation of a positive employee experience (HR, Culture and/or Diversity & Inclusion communications experience is strongly preferred)
- Excellent writing experience and an ability to simplify complex ideas into a brief and compelling message that will excite and inspire employees
- Experience being a thought partner to People Operations/HR teams
- Experience working with DEI Committees and Employee Resource Groups
- Ability to be a strategic impact player but also happy to be an implementer
- Strong network and knowledge of the DEI community, ideally globally
- Ability to meaningfully engage a wide variety of stakeholders
- Ability to coordinate and collaborate with diverse groups across multiple teams
- Experience in gathering and using data for continuous improvement and reporting progress against goals
- Experience working dynamically with a variety of internal stakeholders
- Confident, clear and impactful presenter
- Lack of bias and positive intent. Balanced judgement
- Passion and urgency around DEI
- Thoughtful, critical and creative thinker.
Outside Inc is an employee-first culture. We take care of our employees.
Outside Inc is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, pay, grow and promote no matter of gender, race, color, sexual orientation, religion, age, protected veteran status, physical and mental abilities, or any other identities protected by law.
Employees can expect to be paid a salary of approximately between $120,000 to $160,000. Additional compensation may include a bonus or commission (if relevant). Other benefits include health care, vision, dental, retirement, Flexible Time Away, sick leave, and more! The salary range displayed is specifically for those potential hires who will work or reside in the state of Colorado if selected for this role, and may vary based on market data/ranges, an applicant’s skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications, and other relevant factors.