At Outside, we’re doing something wildly ambitious: developing a platform and community to inspire, inform, and motivate people to live their best life through their pursuit of an active lifestyle.
We’ve done this by bringing together many of the leading brands and products in the active lifestyle space, including Outside, Climbing, Yoga Journal, Velonews (+ a dozen other publications), Gaia GPS, AthleteReg, FinisherPix, and Cairn...and we’re just getting started.
This journey involves a number of challenging transitions...we’re transforming many of our iconic print magazine brands into a digital-first experience. And we’re transitioning from an ad-supported model to an intensely consumer-focused product experience built around the Outside+ membership model ($99 per year).
You can hear more about our plans from our CEO, Robin Thurston, former cofounder of MapMyFitness, Chief Digital Officer of Under Armour, and CEO of Helix.
In this role, your goal is to help us develop a suite of products under the Outside brand, that fulfill on our vision of bringing a comprehensive and personalized experience to the active lifestyle consumer. This experience should:
- Motivate and inspire them to pursue the activities they love
- Help them learn new pursuits to fuel their active lifestyle
- Educate them on how to get better
- Help them achieve their fitness/adventure goals, whatever they may be
- Entertain them in the context of the activities they love
- Help them get the right gear for their pursuit
- Help them learn and engage in “in real life” (and virtual) events
- Help them navigate and track their activity
The big challenge: the building blocks for this vision have been assembled via 10+ acquisitions that Outside (formerly Pocket Outdoor Media, before acquiring Outside mag and Outside TV and assuming that brand) as executed. At present the user journey to achieve this vision entails a user visiting 10 or more sites/apps in our portfolio, in a fairly fragmented way. We are already embarked on an iterative process to start to converge and personalize the experience…but we need your help!I'
About the Ideal Candidate
- Deep experience in creating personalized, journey-driven user experiences across web and mobile applications, including:
- User registration and onboarding
- Accessing and using “utility based” apps and sites
- Delivering content (article, image and video) to the user
- Activity-feed based experiences
- User generated content
- Conversion and retention of paying subscribers
- Built and retained world-class product design teams
- Worked iteratively with product management and engineering leads to break a multi-year vision into sprint-sized chunks, and executed against it
- An obsession with “the little things” that differentiate a good product from a great one
- A passion for the outdoors or active lifestyle
- Experience with user testing to validate both design concepts as well as product strategy and assumptions
- An understanding of A/B testing and the benefits (and limitations of) a data-driven approach to building products
- An appreciation for the power of email in growing digital communities
- Experience with the idea of product-led growth
- Experience building products that support the following business models:
- Consumer subscription
- Experience with digital publications or content-heavy products, where article/video content is core to the experience
- Familiarity with the kinds of metrics we care about:
- New users - uniques, pageviews, downloads
- Engaged users - registration, activation, retention
- Paid users - conversion, acquisition, retention and churn
Thus, the ideal candidate will have:
- 8+ years and working in consumer/digital/mobile products
- Building and managing a team of 10+ design staff
- Comfort interfacing with peers and executives (including board level) to defend strategies and explain design concepts
- Beliefs about how product, engineering and design should work together to build awesome products for end customers
- An understanding of trends of the past decade in consumer/mobile, and a sense of where things are going
- 5+ years of deep experience in launching and evolving apps that have reached large audiences (1M+ monthly active users) and thus:
- Knowledge of design best practices on iOS and Android
- Decent understanding of app store marketing and distribution strategies
- Experience in the unique challenges of working with acquired products and teams
- Copywriting expertise, demonstrated experience and portfolio that uses written copy to enhance product design
- Build/retain a world-class product design team
- Deliver all product design inputs including concepts, wireframes, written requirements, annotations, prototypes, comps, and production assets
- Collaborate with product and engineering counterparts on product strategy and roadmap
- Explore design-based solutions to customer problems and validate them via user research, prototyping, etc.
- Be a leader within the company for developing a culture that is supportive of remote work
- Lead the growth and evolution of a collaborative design culture, and be the steward of design tools/vendors/agencies, processes, meetings, etc.
This role reports to the Chief Product Officer.
Boulder/Denver location preferred but remote candidates will be considered and relocation assistance is available.
Remote Jobs: Employees can expect to be paid a salary between $110,000 to $150,000 per year. Additional compensation may include a bonus or commission. Other benefits include health care, vision, dental, retirement, Flexible Time Away, sick leave, and many more. The salary range displayed is specifically for those potential hires who will work or reside in the state of Colorado if selected for this role, and may vary based on market data/ranges, an applicant’s skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications, and other relevant factors.