Outside is looking for an editorial assistant to join a cross-platform editorial team at Outside magazine and Outside Online. This person will be a key member of our Gear channel, managing receipt and storage of our photo samples, as well as writing and fact-checking for the website, magazine, and biannual print Buyer’s Guides. This is a six-month paid contract position based in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
The ideal candidate is someone with a passion for outdoor sports (at least one, but multiple is a plus) and environmental issues, with experience reporting and working at magazines, and editing chops for gear copy, service, and narrative stories. The position requires strong organizational skills, the ability to manage overlapping deadlines, and a willingness to tackle late-breaking assignments. Candidates must be outstanding in spreadsheets (Google).
- Fact-check gear copy for the Buyer's Guides and magazine, as well as larger features.
- Work with brands to call in, organize, and return gear photo samples.
- Pitch and write articles for the Gear channel. These include: service stories, product reviews, and sales coverage.
- Assist with duties for our affiliate link program.
- Write for our Gear Fix and Deal Fix newsletters.
- Join and contribute to the weekly Gear story meeting.
- Contribute enthusiastically to our mission of entertaining and informing all outdoor-gear junkies.
- Maintain brand relationships.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or related field.
- Extensive experience working in and collaborating on organized spreadsheets.
- Proficiency in Wordpress a plus.
- Highly organized, both with deadlines and managing hundreds of physical photo samples.
- Effective communicator both within and outside of the organization.
- Efficiency in repetitive tasks (e.g. sending emails to brands, updating spreadsheets).
- Should be organized, able to meet deadlines consistently, and comfortable handling multiple projects simultaneously.
- Familiarity with affiliate marketing a plus.
- Must have experience in outdoor sports.
- Familiarity with outdoor gear products a plus.
- Nights, weekends, and travel sometimes required.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds and carry boxes up and down stairs.
- Work Visa Sponsorship Not Available