Outside is the premier hub for active lifestyle enthusiasts, offers best-in-class content and experiences to more than 70 million of the world’s most passionate outdoor, wellness, and endurance enthusiasts every month. We inspire a broad and diverse audience to do the activities they love with great enjoyment, inspiration, and knowledge and are dedicated to making real change in the outdoor and fitness industries. Day after day, story after story, Outside proves that a hike, a climb, a run, a ride, a day skiing, or a yoga practice can change lives - and change the world.
The Editorial Director of Oxygen is responsible for overseeing content and editorial operations for Oxygen, one of the world’s leading women’s fitness publications.This includes strategic planning, content development, brand building, positioning, innovation, and people management
- Enhance the product: Responsibilities include focusing the brand, sharpening its editorial voice, determining the right mix of content, figuring out what works and what doesn’t, and strengthening Oxygen’s relationship with its readers across all digital platforms including website, social channels, class and course creation, TV and podcast.
- Develop an editorial plan that grows membership: Outside is a digital subscription-based business that aims to offer readers access to high-quality content across many different (but thematically related) publications. The editorial director will develop new concepts, products and offerings that help increase the value of a subscription for readers.
- Lead the digital transition: Oxygen is much beloved by its readers and well positioned to expand its digital presence. The editorial director’s will have expertise and leadership to envision a strong future for the publication and manage its digital growth successfully.
- Industry expert: The editorial director will come with an established network within the industry in order to not only stay on trend, but forecast trends, within the fitness industry. Translate trends into immediate actions the team can take to enhance the product.
- Scale Expertise: The editorial director’s publishing expertise will help the Oxygen team--and peer editorial leaders--learn quickly, implement best practices, make good strategic and data-driven decisions, use analytics and performance tools intelligently, and become experts at making content readers love.
- Deliver on all key brand editorial performance goals
- Manage the transition from a print magazine to best-in-class mulit-dimensional content platform that drives engagement across the customer journey
- Articulate a vision of what Oxygen should be, create and execute the content strategy that helps realize that vision. Extend vertical experience across the Outside network
- Ensure the quality, creativity, relevance and and thoughtfulness of all editorial work is award-winning and trendsetting
- Increase the efficiency of your teams’ workflow and publishing processes
- Implement new editorial tools, processes and systems
- Conduct analyses of strategies, tactics and best practices from best-in-class digital publishing organizations and helping your team learn quickly from these examples
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to execute the overall strategy of the brand and of the company
- Work effectively with Outside’s other editorial leaders to refine strategies, improve best practices, find efficiencies and generally make Oxygen better
- Deeply understand key trends and ideas relevant to Oxygen and its readers
- Work with internal product, technology, marketing, sales and operations teams to advance opportunities for audience and membership growth
- Establish effective feedback loops that provide data-driven, actionable insights to each your team on a regular basis
- Ensure that the Oxygen team uses and is highly proficient with all key content performance and analytics tools
- Identify opportunities for growth via external partnerships
- 7-10 years of editorial brand leadership experience as an editor, journalist, content marketer or adjacent roles
- Passion for fitness, healthy eating and all other topics Oxygen covers
- Experience with a highly effective digital publishing operation
- Able to direct, nurture and develop a highly motivated team of internal and external resources. Understand how to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment
- Strong editorial judgment: solid writing skills, structured thinking, planning and execution
- Background in using Google Analytics, Chartbeat, Parse.ly, and/or other widely used content analytics tools to create strategies aimed at performance
- Experienced in the fundamentals of SEO, social media strategy, content marketing, and email newsletters
- Experience working in state-of-the-art content management system
- Inherent curiosity around learning new technologies, tools and techniques
- Strong, relevant experience managing editorial and group budgets
- Actively seeks inspiration and new ideas from a broad assortment of sources
Entirely remote jobs that could be performed in Colorado: Employees can expect to be paid a salary of between $85,000 to $105,000. Additional compensation may include a bonus or commission . Additional benefits include health care, vision, dental, retirement, Flexible Time Away, sick leave, and more. This salary range is merely an estimate and may vary based on an applicant’s location, market data/ranges, an applicant’s skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications, and other relevant factors