Across web, print, podcast, social, and video, our brands engage with over 15 million of the most active and influential consumers in the world every month. Our brands include: Yoga Journal, SKI, BACKPACKER, VeloNews, Climbing, Women’s Running, Triathlete, Better Nutrition, Bicycle Retailer & Industry News, Clean Eating, Fly Fishing Film Tour, IDEA Health and Fitness Association, Muscle & Performance, Nastar, National Park Trips, NatuRx, Oxygen, PodiumRunner, Roll Massif, SNEWS, Vegetarian Times, VeloPress, VeloSwap, and Warren Miller Entertainment.
Outside is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado with offices in San Diego, CA - This role is remote
Outside is seeking a Senior Product Manager to join our fast-paced product and engineering team! Senior Product Manager of Content Recommendation & Personalization will lead product development efforts in building our content recommendation & personalization system. This person will work closely with engineering, design and content/editorial teams to produce an experience that spans the entirety of the Outside ecosystem and delivers the most highly relevant content to our members at the right time and in the right context.
The content recommendation engine will surface the best personalized content to the user when in our sites/apps and email, using the following content type inputs:
- Online education courses
- Events to register for
- e-Commerce purchase opportunities (e.g. gear)
- 3rd party (e.g. weather forecast)
- Features of the platform to use
- Authors to follow
- Community members/friends to follow
The following inputs should inform the system:
- Explicit user preferences (what topics I follow)
- Implicit user behaviors (other content I have engaged with, purchases, etc.)
- Physical activity (e.g. what kind of workouts I have done, integrated with fitness apps/devices)
- Content performance (e.g. trending/popular content)
- Social signals (e.g. what my friends have engaged with)
The model should be optimized based on user behavioral outcomes including: frequency of performing activities (e.g. work out more), purchase behaviors, and site engagement metrics.
How You Will Make a Difference
- Own all aspects of the content recommendation system and strategy
- Work to build a tight and high performing team of engineers, designers and business analysts to join you on this journey of developing a world-class content recommendation system
- Deeply understand user needs and business goals, and develop and execute a product roadmap that delivers on both
- Work closely with user researchers (including hands-on user research) to understand the needs of our customers
- Collaborate with engineers and designers to deliver the product in an iterative fashion over the course of many years
- Understand the content recommendation ecosystem, trends (including AI/ML based solutions), vendors and best practices to ensure we are building towards a vision that supports our strategy
- Present strategic options and recommendations to the executive team
- Regularly measure and report on the performance of the system
What You Bring
- 7+ years experience in product management for software or technology companies
- Familiarity with software development lifecycle (e.g. Agile/Scrum)
- Hands on experience with building consumer-facing content recommendation systems, either building on a vendor solution or building in house, at a social network, digital publisher or similar.
- Familiarity with newsfeed/timeline strategies, algorithms and architectures (e.g. edgerank)
- Familiarity with content recommendation and personalization solutions such as Amazon Personalize, Recombee and others and ideally deep experience with at least one of them
- Hands-on experience defining requirements for algorithm development
- Working understanding of machine learning from a product perspective, with hands-on experience working with data scientists to train and deploy a model
- Understanding of digital media oriented KPIs and metrics e.g. click-thru-rate, retention cohorts, etc.
- Entirely remote jobs that could be performed in Colorado: Employees can expect to be paid a salary of between $100,000 to $140,000. Additional compensation may include a bonus or commission . Additional benefits include health care, vision, dental, retirement, Flexible Time Away, sick leave, and more. This salary range is merely an estimate and may vary based on an applicant’s location, market data/ranges, an applicant’s skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications, and other relevant factors.