Outside, Inc is looking for an outstandingly talented leader to oversee content and editorial operations for Oxygen, one of the world’s leading women’s fitness publications.
As Editorial Director, you’ll have four main jobs:
- Improve the editorial product: You’ll be responsible for focusing the brand, sharpening its editorial voice, determining the right mix of content, figuring out what works and what doesn’t, and strengthening Oxygen’s relationship with its readers across all platforms.
- Develop an editorial plan that grows membership: Outside Inc. is a digital subscription-based business that aims to offer readers access to high-quality content across many different (but thematically related) publications. We’ll look to you not only to improve the editorial quality of Oxygen, but also to develop new concepts, products and offerings that help increase the value of a subscription for our readers.
- Lead the digital transition: Oxygen is much beloved by its readers and well positioned to expand its digital presence. We’ll need your expertise and leadership to envision a strong future for the publication and manage its digital growth successfully.
- Make us smarter: We need your digital publishing expertise to help the Oxygen team--and your peer editorial leaders--learn quickly, implement best practices, make good strategic and data-driven decisions, use analytics and performance tools intelligently, and become experts at making content our readers love.
We’re looking for a person with the skills and experience to do this job well--but we also need someone who understands what we’re trying to become, who knows what questions we’re not asking, who invents better ways of doing things, who inspires their team, and who deeply understands every element of what it takes to run a fantastic, category-leading publication.
The Editorial Director’s responsibilities will include:
- Delivering on all key editorial performance goals
- Managing the transition from print magazine to best-in-class digital publication
- Articulating a vision of what Oxygen should be, then creating and executing the content strategy that helps us realize that vision
- Ensuring the quality, creativity, relevance and and thoughtfulness of all editorial work
- Increasing the efficiency of your teams’ workflow and publishing processes
- Implementing new editorial tools, processes and systems
- Conducting analyses of strategies, tactics and best practices from best-in-class digital publishing organizations and helping your team learn quickly from these examples
- Working closely with the Social, SEO, Membership Editor, and Growth Editor teams
- Working effectively with Outside’s other editorial leaders to refine strategies, improve best practices, find efficiencies and generally make Oxygen better
- Deeply understanding key trends and ideas relevant to Oxygen and its readers
- Working with internal product, technology, marketing, sales and operations teams to advance opportunities for audience and membership growth
- Establishing effective feedback loops that provide data-driven, actionable insights to each your team on a regular basis
- Ensuring that the Oxygen team uses and is highly proficient with all key content performance and analytics tools
- Identifying opportunities for growth via external partnerships
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has deep, relevant experience as a journalist, editor, and editorial manager
- Has a passion for fitness, healthy eating and all other topics Oxygen covers
- Knows what a highly effective digital publishing operation looks like, and can help us become one
- Is a great writer
- Is an outstanding strategist and structured thinker
- Has excellent editorial judgment
- Has solid experience using Google Analytics, Chartbeat, Parse.ly, and/or other widely used content analytics tools
- Is comfortable with and experienced in the fundamentals of SEO, social media strategy, content marketing, and email newsletters
- Has experience working in state-of-the-art content management systems
- Is a seasoned manager able to deliver results working with a wide variety of teams and personalities
- Is a terrific all-around communicator
- Loves learning new technologies, tools and techniques
- Has strong, relevant experience managing editorial and group budgets
- Is deeply creative and actively seeks inspiration and new ideas from a broad assortment of sources
Why You’ll Love Working at Outside, Inc
- We’re growing!
- We care about doing high-value editorial work for our readers
- We’re passionate about outdoor and active lifestyle participants and live the lifestyle ourselves
- We’re a technology- and data-driven business
- We’re committed to active lifestyle participants and will provide them with the world’s most personalized content that inspires and motivates them by understanding them better than any platform in the world
- We love solving problems, thinking creatively and trying new things
- We believe in autonomy and taking initiative
- We take what we do seriously. We don’t take ourselves seriously
- We have a smart, experienced leadership team that wants to do it right and is open to new ideas
- We offer competitive compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits
- We’re committed to making you proud to say your work for Outside, Inc.
- The work you will bring joy to our readers and members every day
Entirely remote jobs that could be performed in Colorado: Employees can expect to be paid a salary of between $80,000 to $100,000. Additional compensation may include a bonus or commission . Additional benefits include health care, vision, dental, retirement, Flexible Time Away, sick leave, and more. This salary range is merely an estimate and may vary based on an applicant’s location, market data/ranges, an applicant’s skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees and certifications, and other relevant factors
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment reference check.